3M’s reflective range of exterior window films provides a strong visual statement that delivers excellent comfort and immediate energy efficiency for reduced cooling costs. Exterior Reflective films provide daylight privacy and are compatible with most glazing systems. Exterior installation is conveniently non-disruptive and is especially suitable for commercial projects where maintaining ongoing business activities is important. All 3M window film products require installation by specially trained, certified 3M window film installers at APG .
3M’s Reflective exterior films are popular for commercial projects thanks to their exceptional appearance, impressive heat rejection, and outstanding durability backed by a limited extended warranty.
3M™ Sun Control Window Film Prestige Exterior Series
- Long lasting comfort, savings and aesthetics at a whole new level.
- Allows high transmission of visual light to provide excellent aesthetics.
- Non-metallized film rejects up to 97% of infrared light to provide energy savings and enhanced comfort.
- Low interior and exterior reflectivity enhances views from the inside while maintaining an attractive look from the outside.
- Significantly blocks the amount of harmful UV rays that cause fading, helping to extend the life of furnishings.
- Prestige Exterior Series film can become carbon negative in as short as 6 months from install.
- Includes a comprehensive warranty from 3M.
The Prestige Exterior Series provides performance, beauty and durability that metallic films can’t match. The non-metalized technology applied to film eliminates corrosion, no need to edge seal*, and no signal interference.
*Edge sealing required if water can pool at the edge of the film.
What good is a multi-year warranty from a company that wasn’t around years ago and might not be around years to come? Selecting 3M Window Films gives you piece of mind. That’s because we have one of the most comprehensive warranties you can get; backed by a company you know and trust. All Prestige Exterior films carry a 7-year warranty (5 years for sloped surfaces) when professionally installed on a commercial building.
**IR Rejection as measured from 900–1000nm
*** Based on emission calculations performed in compliance with the GHG Protocol Product Life Cycle Accounting and Reporting Standard (2011), third party assured.
Selecting 3M Window Films gives you piece of mind. That’s because we have one of the most comprehensive warranties you can get; backed by a company you know and trust. 3M Window Films come with a limited lifetime warranty when professionally installed on your home.
Aloha United Way — Honolulu, Hawaii
• Project Scope The Aloha United Way’s building in Honolulu, Hawaii, is home to both the United Way and several other nonprofit tenants. As both a nonprofit building owner and commercial landlord, the United Way aims to use its resources as efficiently as possible, as well as to maximize the attractiveness of its space to potential tenants. Constructed in the late 1960s, the two-building complex includes a two-story and seven story building, with approximately 15,000 square feet of windows. A renovation of the building in the early 1990s included the application of a tinted window film, which by 2012 had been in place well past the end of its service life and was starting to degrade.
• Norm Baker, the organization’s Chief Operating Officer, explained the impact of the dark tint on rental prospects. “We had a couple of empty spaces in the building, and it became especially apparent that when you take out all the furniture, there’s nothing to see in the room except the windows. We were well-aware it needed to be replaced.” The buildings’ electrical air conditioning costs were also creeping up, highlighting the need for the United Way to find a better solution to control heat. “Our energy bill was really getting out of control,” said Baker. “We realized that energy use is one of the top things in our building that we have control over with the potential for cost savings.” “When you’re a nonprofit, building aesthetics are not something you can put really high on your list of priorities,” said Kim Gennaula, president of the Aloha United Way. “We’re working to get as much money back out into the community as possible. So it got put off for a number of years.”
The United Way sought the help of David Leandro at Pacific Rim Glass Tinting, who began looking for ways to help within the organization’s budget. “I emailed my contact at 3M and asked if they could donate film,” said Leandro. “If they were to donate the film, and I was to donate some of my labor, I knew we could make it happen.” 3M was happy to help, and provided 3M™ Sun Control Window Film Prestige Series 40 to replace the existing film. Not only does this film make spaces more comfortable, it can also help reduce fading of furnishings and carpet. “It’s a much lighter film than their old film,” said Leandro, “so it actually brings more light into the building and makes office spaces brighter, while blocking more energy than the old film.”
The Pacific Rim Glass Tinting team completed removal of the old film and installation of 3M Sun Control Window Film in a span of three weeks, one week ahead of schedule. The United Way has been impressed with the film’s aesthetic and the early reports of energy savings.
“It gives you a bright sunny feeling inside of the room—it was an immediate change in atmosphere,” said Gennaula. “We didn’t realize that something as simple as window film could make such a huge difference when you come into work. Now we have this beautiful, brightly lit, comfortable office to come into. The building is now more attractive from the outside as well, which has piqued interest in renting the spaces.” In the film’s first month after installation, the building saw a 10,000 kilowatt-hour (kWh) drop in electricity use versus the same month the previous year. “People in the building are raving about how much more comfortable the spaces are,” Baker said. “It feels a lot more energizing.” The United Way can also rest easy in the long-term performance of its new film, thanks to 3M’s reliable warranty and longevity in the industry. With 65 years of history in weathering science, 3M’s knowledge of window films is unparalleled. Now, the organization is planning on installing photovoltaic panels and retrofitting its air conditioning system to add even greater efficiency.
“3M’s contribution means so much to our staff,” said Gennaula. “The staff does so much work to raise money and pass it back out to nonprofits that they sort of get lost in the shuffle. To have 3M say, ‘We want to make your work environment better,’ meant a lot to us. Now, with the added efficiency we can generate more money to go back out to the community.” In appreciation of its long-term partnership, the United Way recently recognized 3M with the 2013 United Way Spirit of America® Award for philanthropy, volunteer engagement and community impact. In 2012, 3M raised $8.6 million for 135 communities nationwide through its “Every One Counts. Live United” United Way campaign, and employees volunteered 200,000 total hours. In addition to donations of products like window film, 3M continues to partner with the United Way in